Saturday 20 October 2012

This week at the Rescue

This was a fairly light week at the rescue.

I started by cleaning the pig's stall in the barn. He's getting less nervous - he came close enough this week that he touched my hand! He'll be used to people in no time :)

Then I mixed up the food for Darcy and Fin. They are both on special diets, to supplement the grass and hay they are getting right now.

I was lucky to work with Bob and Lorraine again this week. They went to walk two of the ponies, Applesauce and Chilli Pepper, while I had a quick visit with Darcy. He is gaining weight, and was happy to see me :)

I then decided to try and catch one of the ponies, Holli. She is very nervous and skittish. Bob and Lorraine gave it a try, but were unsuccessful, so I decided to try my luck. With Lorraine and Chilli acting as wingmen, I slowly walked up to her, and mirrored her movements when she would try to escape - if she stepped left, I stepped with her. I held out a treat in my hand, and when she finally reached out to take it, I was able to grab her halter and clip the lead on. Success!!!
Walking down the driveway
She walked pretty good. I think that because she is so small, I was not terribly nervous about catching her, whereas I would have been scared to catch a full-size, skittish horse.
What a pretty girl :)
Last weekend, Nicola held a bottle drive to raise funds for winter food. She posted the total raised on the PGER site: $607 in empties and $270 in cash! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment