Sunday 4 May 2014

Sprouts so far

The new seeds have been very quick to sprout!  Out of the 108 seeds I planted Tuesday, we already have 2 Amish paste, 1 azteca, and 1 black plum coming up for tomatoes, and 10 cabbage sprouts are up as well.  Wow!!





I am most surprised by the Amish paste; I didn't expect any of them to actually grow.  Well done, little seeds!!

It appears that the cranes won the battle for the field. I haven't heard the geese in the last two days, though admittedly, I haven't been home that much. The sun is out today, and the wind is starting to die down, so I'll be trying to spend some time outdoors today. I'll keep an ear out for another squawk-off, and I may let the chickens out as well.

We had an informal snow pool this year, betting on when the giant snow pile in front of the northeast corner of the house would melt away.  Dad bet May15, Jordan picked June 1, and I put my money on June 14. (Bear in mind that we placed our bets in the middle of February.)  Dad won, as the snow will be gone this week.

You can see that most of our other huge snow banks have been succumbing to the sun as well.

I can't wait to get into the garden!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mandi, I love what you and Jordan are doing out there and I'm always thrilled to see the next installment of your blog published. It's all quite a revelation, too, as I never thought that you had all this in you! Keep at it, girl, and keep posting.

    Ray J. (formerly of Grant Mac)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for snow disappearing! I think some of our piles are going to hang around a little bit longer, but thats ok!
    Our chickens are loving being out too. Its so nice to see them enjoying the outdoors. I feel a little bad because I am going to catch the ones you gave us and tuck them back in the barn to get some fertile eggs from them. I don't think they will be too happy to leave their playground!

    ReplyDelete