Tuesday 20 May 2014

Plant sale

Our local botanical society hosts a plant sale every spring on the May long weekend. I have been looking forward to this sale for months, hoping to get a couple sour cherry trees.

Well, May long was this past weekend, and while I didn't get the cherries I was hoping for the sale was not a complete bust. Instead, we came home with three saskatoon bushes and one Arctic Beauty kiwi.

(The saskatoons are in the blue square containers, and the kiwi is the tall one.  I found out yesterday that I will need two kiwis if I want to get any fruit, so I'll have to see if I can find another one. Live and learn, I guess!)

When we got home, I gathered all out outdoor potted plants in the greenhouse, and set up the auto-waterers.

On the bench are the saskatoons and kiwis, which are new this year, along with the smaller plants from last year: a black currant, a lilac (which has already put out lots of new leaves!!!), the flowers, and two herbs: basil and oregano, which I'm hoping will come back (I busted open the seed heads into their pots, and now they're getting water every day). On the ground are last year's lilies from a coworker and another black currant from this year.

Things are leafing out in the garden too. The rhubarb and the raspberries are growing again, and the strawberries are looking good too.



The seedlings are doing great too! A week and a half ago, we started 5 pumpkins, 2 zuchinni, and 27 pickling cucumbers. We always kill the cakes so I'm hoping that by starting almost 30 seeds, we should be able to nurse at least a few to fruiting.  

Is anything coming up in your garden?

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are ambitious I am not even looking at my garden, it is still cold here at night we had a heavy frost two nights ago I still wish the woodsove was going in the house. burrr.
    Oh I wish I had some rhubarb you have inspired me to visit they nursery on my trip to town today. Take care. xo Hug B

    ReplyDelete