Monday 10 September 2012

A creek, a pup, and some shelves


Last Wednesday, while Jordan was at work, Zim and I went searching for the creek.  As Jordan mentioned, we found it, and Zim fell in.  It's actually quite underwhelming, and it has a beaver dam.  Here's what it looks like:
The low part of the creek, under the log that has fallen across it.  This part is maybe 6 inches deep.

The beaver dam

The pool above the dam; this is where Zim fell in.  It's narrow, but there's a deep spot in the middle that required Zim to swim.

He hears something...
Also, here's the pole shed, in all its' half-stained glory (as Jordan ran out of stain before he could finish it).  The wall under the roof has been stained, so it's about 5/8ths done.

Apologies for the bad photo, it was getting into the evening and the tree's shadow  was getting in the way.

 This past weekend, we puppysat for one of my coworkers.  Doodle is their pup, and he's a real cutie.  

Zim and Doodle, sitting still for a moment
He and Zim had a great time running around chasing each other.  I'll admit, I contemplated keeping Doodle, but it would break his humans' hearts, so I reluctantly let him head back to his own home.  This has intensified Jordan's desire for another dog, and has worn down my resistance (as I was hoping to wait until spring).  So stay tuned for a possible addition to our home!

On Saturday, I also built a shelving unit for our second bedroom.  The house is only about 800 square feet, and the kitchen is a bit short on ideal cupboard space, so we had left most of our canned food and random stuff packed in boxes.  I was getting really frustrated with the state of this second bedroom and that fact that I had no idea what food we had still packed.  When we moved in, there was lumber left in the barn: some very, very rough 2x4s and quite a few very nice 1x4s.  So I decided that we needed a shelf, and instead of buying one, I'd make it.
The bedroom before building commenced; I had moved the desk and the freezer and cleared a space for the shelf.  This was taken from along the north wall of the room, facing west.

Facing east

Look, it's a shelf!

This is everything that had been boxed and spread around the room.  I feel much better about the room now.
So that's what we've been up to for the past week.  It's been fairly busy, which is to be expected as we settle in and get ready for winter.  Next weekend I'm hoping to harvest the garden; this may or may not include improving the root cellar and fixing the hole in its roof.

Jordan is back on days off, so he'll be working on some stuff over the next few days (I think finishing the pole shed and clearing out some more grass/brush that has sprung up due to previous neglect; both of these require the weather's cooperation, which may or may not be forthcoming).  Luckily, there's not too much that needs to be done in the house, but this makes rainy days extra-frustrating.  But the weather will do whatever it's going to do; no point worrying overmuch about it.

Gotta run, supper's ready!
Mandi

6 comments:

  1. Deborah Louette10 Sept 2012, 20:00:00

    The shelves look amazing. Multi-talented Mandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really enjoy working with my hands, which will come in very handy as we continue to fix this place up!

      Delete
  2. The shelves look good Mandi and I like how you even put up curtains. The dogs look very happy.HL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi those shelves are amazing I would like a set like that myself. It looks like things are coming along nicely. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those two cuties actually sitting for a picture! You'll have to send me your pics :D

    ReplyDelete